It’s been a while, but after taking some much needed time off, I’m back and more inspired than ever! I wanted to share my DIY gift idea that is perfect for those of you who are on a budget, or those of you who want to splurge. Not sure what to get for certain people like your boss or even clients? Need an extra something for your in-laws? Look no further! This wine basket is creative, fun to make, and can cost as much as you want to spend. Here’s the one I made recently:
I love the way it turned out! If you would like to learn how to make your own wine basket, see my step by step instructions below!
- Pick your bottle of wine. I purchased an inexpensive white wine from my local liquor store. This basket is for my neighbor and I really don’t know her very well, but I wanted to give her a little something to spread some holiday cheer!
- Choose your basket. I purchased this drum basket for $3.99 (and everything else) at Christmas Tree Shops, but you can find baskets at any craft store or even Walmart. Make sure you select the right size for your bottle of wine, glasses, and other items you will be adding to it.
- Look for some wine glasses that will fit your basket’s theme. The ones I chose have a festive gold rim and cost only $3.99 each! You can always use plain glasses for a more subtle touch. You can find inexpensive ones at the craft store, or dollar store.
- Gather your ribbon and filler. I stayed with the red and green color scheme for filler, then used yellow ribbon and a yellow bow to bring out the gold accent color of the drum. Don’t forget to pick up a roll of clear cellophane to hold everything together! You can also find these items at the craft store or dollar store.
- Cut some cellophane and arrange your contents. This is the fun part! Just cut a piece from your cellophane roll that’s large enough to wrap the wine, glasses, and filler. (Plus anything else you decide to add.) Insert the cellophane piece into the bottom of the empty basket, and place some filler in it. Arrange everything to your liking.
- Gather your cellophane at the top and tie with ribbon. You want enough leftover cellophane gathered at the top so you can play with it a bit and separate the layers. You can tie the ribbon in a bow or a double knot. I made a double knot here, because I was going to cover it with the bow.
- Don’t forget to curl your ribbon. In case you’re not sure how to do this, just open your scissors and place the ribbon between your thumb and the blade. Run the scissors down the ribbon. It may not curl completely on the first try. That’s ok, just touch up where needed.
- Add your bow and other finishing touches. You can always add a gift tag or card, even glitter or sequins. Your options are endless!
Wine baskets are such a great gift, especially if it’s last minute. I created a pretty basic one, but you can put your own creative touch on yours by adding other things like cheese and crackers, chocolate, nuts, etc. I would even suggest adding some pretty coasters that match your theme. A gift card also makes a great addition. The best part about it is that it’s so budget friendly! I hope this helps some of you that need a simple last minute gift idea, or for those of you who just want to create something from your heart for someone special. I wish you all a very happy holiday, and I will talk to you very soon.